Membership in a volunteer fire department means many things to many people. For some it means running calls, filling a leadership position in the organization, or helping out "behind the scenes." No matter what your background or skill level, if you have a sincere interest in helping your community and other people in need... joining a volunteer fire department is something to check out NOW!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much time does it take to volunteer with the fire department?
The time commitment varies and depends on the number of fire calls the department is called upon to respond to. A training drill, meeting, or detail is held almost every Monday evening and it is important to attend as many of these events as possible. On average, a member can expect to spend at least 15 hours per month serving with the fire department.
2. What training is involved?
In addition to the fire department drills, all firefighters are expected to complete "Basic Firefighting" training (about 130 hours) during the first year of membership. Additional training classes are available on a variety of topics, if a member wishes to expand his or her knowledge and skills.
3. How much does it cost to volunteer?
There is no charge to join the fire department. We provide your equipment, protective clothing, and training. We also provide a basic physical at the time of your application to join the department.
4. How do I get more information?
Call the fire department at (732) 469-1955 and leave a message, or email JOIN@MartinsvilleFire.org. Someone from the fire department will follow up shortly.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Junior Members 16-18 years of age while still in high school
- Ability to work well with others
- Reside or work in the Fire District or a resident in an area adjacent to Fire District No. 1
- Clean driving record
Benefits of Membership
- Challenging and exciting work
- Satisfaction of serving the community
- Personal development-training in the field of firefighting
- Leadership opportunities
- Camaraderie and friendships
- Family and Social activities
- Health and life insurance programs
- Various Fire Department and township benefits
The Martinsville Volunteer Fire Department is an Equal Opportunity Volunteer Fire Department